Why "Modern Nanay"?


If you are not Filipino, then you are probably unfamiliar with the term "nanay". Nanay simple means mom or a mother. For me, I chose to be called the endearment Nanay by my child because it is a very traditional Filipino term and it resonates with everything that I would want to be as a mom - a traditional one.

However, modern times have greatly affected how moms act as a mother (in a positive way, might I add) and so, I would love to be up to date but still maintain the core meaning of being a mom. I learned in a church sermon while standing as a Godmother to a friends' baby that to be a parent, you must be your child's master until she turns 2, and after that, be her teacher until she turns 12. And when your child is in her teens, you must be her friend. This teaching is what I aim to abide by when I raise my daughter.

The term modern Nanay is not what I am, yet. It is what I aim to be. 

Comments

Popular Posts